Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dripping Delta Bathtub Faucet


I have an old bathtub with builders grade hardware. It's probably 24 years old (same age as the house). It's ugly. It's copper (fake). It was dripping. A lot. It would easily fill our 1 gallon humidifier bucket in 30 minutes or so. Very annoying.
So what do I do? I went to Home Depot. Where else? I spoke with one woman in the plumbing / bath area, but I think she was from paint. She was super nice, great personality, but I don't think she was 100% sure on what she was telling me. Basically told me I needed to just replace the whole external units. Then she got called to the paint department, and found the real plumbing guy. He was very knowledgable, and I'd like to hang out with him as much as I'd like to hang out with a pet rock. He spoke a little more than a pet rock, but not much. YET he knew exactly what I needed, based on my 'stupid homeowner' description of my dripping. Basically, there's one reason a Delta tub faucet drips, and he grabbed the teeny $4 plastic box of parts. It consisted of 2 springs, 2 rubber 'things' that looked like bullet casings, and some instructions. Simple enough.

So I brought them home, and here's how it went:
You need to remove the center piece from the knob. Easy enough. Use a small flathead screw driver or pliers. Once that's off, you need to remove the large metal looking piece in the center. I used my large locking plyers. Once unscrewed, it slides straight off like a sleeve.














Then this part just slides out of the middle. Put it aside, you don't need to do anything to it here.


















It's probably hard to tell from this picture, but there are 3 holes in a triangle layout. Two horizontally aligned on top, and a center aligned bigger one on the bottom. The top two have the pieces we need to replace in them. They're the springs and bullet casing that needs to come out. I used a small screw driving to kind of gently pry that out. Needle nose pliers would probably have been a little better, but it worked.











This is what they look like. The spring is smaller at one end, larger at the other. The end sticking out is the large one. My assumption is that the reason it was leaking is because the spring got too compressed and wasn't supplying enough pressure to the rubber casing. As I usually do, I gave the spring a little tug to make it slightly longer. In my brain, that will help it apply a little more pressure on the inside of the rubber thing. I'm probably wrong, but it's something I always do.











Then, it's reassembly. Put it all back together. Careful not to drop the new spring/casings down the drain. That would suck.

No comments: